Thursday, March 23, 2023

The end of an era

For seventeen years I have worked half time for ICIM. Half time has felt like a lifetime. The ICIM board has decided not to expand my job to full time as I requested, and so it is time for me to go.

I want to name the board members who introduced ICIM to me. These early mentors gave me plenty of advice and critique, but also loaded me with gifts, praise and love. They were my advocates and cheerleaders, and they formed the foundation of my development as a professional. I am eternally grateful.

Martin Dayton, MD, DO, Jim Smith, DO, Terry Chappell, MD, Robban Sica, MD, Rene Blaha, MD, Jeannette Soriano, MD, Rick Linchitz, MD, Eric Born, MD, Bill Faber, DO, John Parks Trowbridge, MD, Robert Battle, MD, David Nebbeling, DO, Lambert Parker, MD, Dale Guyer, MD, Richard Plumb, DO, Conrad Maulfair, DO, Michelle Clark, MBA, Carol Ann Ryser, MD, Tammy Born, DO, Al Augustine, Jonathan Collin, MD, Robert Waters, MD, James Carter, MD, Ted Rozema, MD

The first call I got in my new job was from Simon Yu’s wife Kate. She told me that he was deployed overseas as a military doctor and asked if his membership could be put on hold. I said “yes, of course.” What I didn’t say was that when I started with ICIM, there was not even an official membership list or data base. Everyone who called and told me they were a member got to be a member. We have come a long way, my friends.

When I muse about the highlights of my 17 years at ICIM, some things that come to mind are the powerful energy of Niagara Falls, which left us speechless and breathless. I think of the warm flow of powerful energy in our conversation surrounding alter centerpieces at our retreats. John Parks Trowbridge singing the Yellow Rose of Texas. Chuck Adam’s eager smile as he showed up hours early to do his presidential duty of hanging out at the reg desk. Robert Waters’ Hawaiian shirts. I remember when I ordered an English High Tea for break, and the lemon curd came out labeled “Lemon crud.” Time and time again getting feedback from the hotel staff who said “your people really seem to like each other.” I remember Sajad swinging at that piƱata, and Michelle Clark swinging from the treetops of a Costa Rican cloud forest. Once I had to appease an angry attendee who complained bitterly that his steak was too big. I remember Jeannette facilitating “Saving a Million Hearts” so brilliantly, on her feet for 9 hours without complaint. Many times I have had to turn away the public who had come to be healed, protecting the privacy of our members for just one precious weekend. I remember singing Halleluia for Dale in Nashville and for Ellie in Fort Worth. How could I forget our Halloween party in Chicago with all your fabulous costumes? We ran out of food at that party, because some courses turned out to be hidden by clouds of dry ice. I remember The Murphy, when the elevator to the exhibit hall broke. I remember Nancy dressed as the Bloody Mary Fairy and the salad bar of toppings. I remember when Robert Rowen ate a serving dish of seaweed (that man knows what’s good for him!) There was a Japanese tea ceremony in the classroom once; we scoured the city for authentic rice balls. Eric Born in his cowboy hat. Jonah and his juicer always created a stir. I remember when Tom Malterre practically started a raw foods restaurant in his hotel room in Pittsburgh (and YES he’ll be back for “Food Fight”) Once I hired a musician so lovely John Trowbridge got down on his knee and begged her to marry him at the end of her song. And there was the epic night of our Presidential Black-Tie Gala when the city of Grand Rapids power grid went down.

As participants, you will have different kinds of memories of ICIM. I hope you remember what you learned. I hope you remember who you met. But most of all I hope you remember the feeling of being warmly welcomed, included, and engaged. If you felt those things, I did my job.

If you need some CMEs in the future, send me a note. I can help you out. I’ll be organizing physician retreats and conferences in beautiful and exciting settings with healing, restorative themes.

Yours,

-Wendy

CME Encounters

CME.encounter@gmail.com

CMEencounter.me



No comments:

Post a Comment